Thursday, March 26, 2015

Radiant

I have absolutely loved working on this piece which I made as a private commission. I recently took her to her new home in Sydney and had the immensely pleasurable experience of installing her myself and seeing her settle into her new place.

Radiant was developed from life drawings and detailed studies of spines. Using thread I have freehand machine embroidered the spine before constructing the figure from a network of embroidered thread lines.
Radiant, 2015, thread, fabric & LED lights
The fabric was carefully chosen from http://www.spoonflower.com/ . I love that online fabric store. The material was gorgeous to work with.

Once complete, I constructed a light box with LED lights which is attached to the back of the canvas and gently illuminates the whole piece from within. 



No comments:

Post a Comment