Saturday, December 15, 2012

How I work

I am often asked how I create my thread and fabric pieces so here is a brief explanation:

All my pieces begin as life drawings.




 

 


I transfer the drawing I have chosen to work with to fabric, usually selecting linen or calico.
I then spend a lot of time at the design stage working out a composition for the piece, selecting fabrics to use, working out texture, pattern and colour combinations.
 
"The Forest Becomes Her" in progress
 
Depending on the complexity of the piece, I use a variety of different source materials including drawings, sketches, photos I have taken... 
This is a very synergistic and dynamic part of my process - The designs, textures, stories and personalities of the materials interact with the original drawing and my intentions for the piece taking me on a journey of discovery!


Having placed & pinned the components of the piece I then draw the figure into the fabrics using freehand machine embroidery.
I add layers and details. In some pieces I use other techniques such needle felting



The Forest Becomes Her
 When the piece is complete I finish it off with my signature.
 
Wedding Haiku

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment