Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fabric of Life - what it's all about


In my current work I am using textiles to explore the female form to depict life as I experience it. I am using thread and fabrics to portray emotion, character and atmosphere.

I aim to create a sense of a woman's landscape and her connection to her environment.

The Forest Becomes Her
 


Each piece is developed from studies drawn from life









I work with my drawings and the fabrics to express the spirit of the moment, the beauty of the figurative line and a joy of texture, colour and pattern.

The Forest Becomes Her in progress

 I use freehand machine embroidery to depict the drawn line. The designs, textures, stories and personalities of the materials take me on a journey to the finished piece.

Blue Jean
I hope to convey an aspect of the human condition from a female perspective. I have often been asked why I choose to depict only the female form. My current work is an expression of me and my experience of the world - I am a woman hence I choose to communicate this expression through the female form. 










Working in this way allows me to combine my love of drawing the human form with using inspiring materials that allow me to express what I feel and how I experience the world. I hope that through this collection of my recent works, I am able to share with you my love of the human form as expressed through figure drawing and my expression of authentic human experience through the texture, colours and beauty of textiles.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment